Lawyers in the Oscar Bartholomew case go before the High Court on June 7 to argue a submission from the defense lawyers for the 5-policemen accused of manslaughter.
In February, the lawyers for the accused made an application to the High court for a stay of Preliminary Inquiry pending a Coroner’s Inquiry. The inquiry is to determine exact cause of death.
Director of Public Prosecution Christopher Nelson says there is no time limit as to how long the Preliminary Inquiry could be stayed and the continuance of the Preliminary Inquiry is dependent on the outcome of the High Court application.
“There is no time limit. The High Court has stayed the PI pending the outcome of the High Court application of the accused persons.”
“Once the High Court Application is determined, and it is not favorable to them, then the preliminary Inquiry will automatically continue,” he said.
He added that he hopes that after the June 7th sitting which will be presided over by the new Judge Vicki Ann Ellis, the Preliminary Inquiry could be resumed.
“After the determination of that matter, we hope that the Preliminary Inquiry will proceed,” DPP Nelson said.
The Preliminary Inquiry began in January and so far the only deposition completed in the Inquiry was that of Dolette Cyr-Bartholomew, wife of deceased.
There are 15 more depositions to be made before the magistrate’s court before a decision could be made as to whether there is enough evidence to take the matter to the High Court.
Oscar Bartholomew, was allegedly beaten by police attached to the St. David police station on December 26th 2011, when he bear-hugged a female police officer in uniform, whom he mistook for a long-time friend.
Constables Edward Gibson, Ruddy Felix, Kenton Hazzard, Wendell Sylvester, and Shaun Ganness were arrested and charged with manslaughter in the death of Bartholomew.©