Secretary General of the Organization of American States (OAS), José Miguel Insulza, has condemned the recent criminal attacks in Colombia which has killed 6-people and wounded 20.
The attacks which tool place in the Colombian departments of Nariño and Cauca, have been blamed on the leftist Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC).
“These events represent an attack against the Colombian State and a despicable crime against the population, meriting a categorical rejection by the entire international community,” Insulza said.
Thursday’s mortar attack was launched outside a police station on Colombia’s south pacific coastal town of Vila Rica, killing and injuring civilians.
Among the dead were a 3-year-old girl and a 19-year-old woman.
The wounded had to be evacuated from the Villa Rica, which is situated near to the police station, because the hospital building was damaged in the attack.
It follows Wednesday’s tricycle bomb attack which killed 9 and injured 74, in Tumaco.
The OAS Secretary General expressed his deep solidarity with all the families of the victims and issued “a strong call so that these atrocities may end once and for all.”
He added that “these crimes emphatically contradict the messages of peace that the FARC had recently made public.”
Thursday’s attack occurred in a region in Colombia, recognised as a key corridor for cocaine smuggling to the Pacific Coast.
The FARC is said to be 9,000 combatants strong and though it has suffered major setbacks in the recent past including the killing of its commander Alfonso Cano, by government troops in November, it has said to have staged 133 attacks on Police and military targets last month.©